MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
In ‘Williams-Sonoma: Potato’
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 4 white rose potatoes, about 1 3/4 lb total weight, scrubbed
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups firmly packed coarsely shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- cayenne pepper, a pinch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried summer savory or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 11 x 7 inch baking dish or other 8-cup baking dish.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the unpeeled whole potatoes until just tender when pierced with a small knife, about 25 minutes.
- Drain, let cool, and peel.
- Cut the potatoes into small dice.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add ½ tsp kosher salt and ¼ tsp black pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Add 1 cup of the cheese and ½ cup of the cream; mix well.
- In a small, heavy sauce, melt 1 T of the butter over med-low heat.
- Whisk in the flour, dry mustard, cloves, and cayenne and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk and the remaining ½ cup cream.
- Increase heat to med-high and bring to a boil, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add ½ cup of the cheese, ¾ tsp kosher salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper and whisk until the cheese melts.
- Pour the sauce over the potatoes and stir to blend.
- Transfer to the prepared dish.
- In a heavy frying pan, melt the remaining 2 T butter over medium heat.
- Add the shallot and summer savory and sauté until the shallot softens, about 3 minutes.
- Add the bread crumbs and stir until they are crisp and golden, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Stir in the remaining ½ cup cheese and ¼ tsp black pepper; set aside.
- Bake the potatoes, uncovered, until the sauce is bubbling thickly and the potatoes are heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the potatoes.
- Continue to bake until the topping is crisp and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION