Delightful Cookies a La Mrs. Fields & Neiman Marcus Omac
The mother of one of the kindergarteners on my bus run gave me a dozen of these cookies as a Christmas gift one year. They were such a hit at home that I asked her for the recipe. Which she very graciously provided. Now it is my job to bake a batch every year for our family reunion Christmas celebration. These cookies are truly so scrumptious that there are never any leftover. (I use a cookie scoop, like an ice cream scoop, DIPPED IN COLD WATER before each use. Individual cookie dough FLASH freezes very well. Cook time is for one sheet in the oven - the rest of the dough is in the freezer!)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 12mins
- 8 ounces chocolate candy bars (Hershey bar)
- 5 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 4 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 lb butter (2 cups)
- 1 lb dark brown sugar (2 cups)
- 2 cups sugar (white)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 24 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 cups walnuts, chopped (24 oz)
- In a food processor. A)-GRATE: 8 oz Hershey chocolate bar & set aside in separate dish. B)-Measure 5 cups (Old Fashioned) Oatmeal. Put small amounts of the oatmeal into a food processor until it turns to powder/flour (Add oatmeal flour to 4 cups white flour in step 2 below).
- Combine: In a VERY large bowl (I use a 13 quart mixing bowl.) 4 cups white flour (with above Oatmeal flour included), 1 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons baking powder, & 2 teaspoons baking soda.
- CREAM together 2 cups (1 lb.) butter (Softened & whipped before adding sugars), 2 cups (1 lb.) dark brown sugar, 2 cups granulated white sugar.
- To the creamed mix add: 4 large eggs (ONE at a time), and 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Mix together well.
- To the DRY ingredients (flour/oatmeal mixture in a VERY large bowl), ADD the CREAMED mixture. Stir together (with a VERY STRONG, very large spoon - wooden?) all ingredients. Mix well with the SPOON. (Do NOT use a mixer. This recipe has burned out 2 mixers). ***THE MIXTURE WILL BE VERY DRY!***.
- Stir in, 8 oz (grated) Hershey chocolate bar, 24 oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips, 3 cups chopped nuts (any kind) OPTIONAL additions 24 oz (3 cups) raisins, craisins, dried cherries etc. Use your imagination! ; ).
- Form (one inch/two tablespoons) ping pong-ball sized cookies. I use a cookie-scoop (like an ice cream scoop) dipped in cold water before each use. (Wal-Mart sells cookie scoops in 2008). The raw dough balls freeze very well. I FLASH freeze them on a cutting board before freezer-bagging them together. KEEP SOME IN THE FREEZER FOR FRESH, HOMEMADE COOKIES ANYTIME!
- Cook on an UNgreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake at 375 degrees: Soft cookies = 6 to 10 minutes.Crispy cookies = 10 to 14 minutes. (Mine are 12 minutes).
- COOL cookies on the cookie sheet (until the next batch comes out of the oven) because they are too soft to remove right away. (4 cookie sheets = 1 baking, 1 cooling, 1 prepped, 1 cleaned & drying.). Cookies CRISP as they cool.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
WHAT A WINNER!!!!!!! I mistakenly halved this recipe as I was making another batch of cookies to take out to the workers at the cottage farm. Next time I will make the whole recipe and try to save a dozen for the woman cooking. HOLY smokes these were great! I followed directions exactly ( minus the halving of the recipe) and they came otu great! Simple to put together and oh so good! Thank you PAC baby 2010Reply