Deliciously Healthy Paella
photo by KristinV
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups rice (uncooked)
- 4 medium tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 cups artichoke hearts, tough outer leaves removed and quartered
- 1 lemon
- lemon wedge, to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a paella pan and sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is tender and translucent. At the same time, heat the broth in a separate saucepan until simmering.
- Pour the rice into the paella pan and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and tomatoes and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the simmering vegetable broth and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until almost tender and almost all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the peas.
- Sprinkle the artichoke hearts with a few drops of lemon juice and arrange over the rice in an attractive pattern. Continue cooking until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Serve the paella straight from the pan, garnished with lemon wedges.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love, love, love to cook. Most of all I love to cook for friends and family because it is such an awesome feeling to bring the people that mean the most to me through such an essential ingredient for life... FOOD! I am a vegan the switch opened up the world of cooking in a way I never imagined! People constantly ask me 'what do you eat?' and I can confidently tell them that if they were to leave meat and dairy behind they would find an enormous world of food out there that they have never heard of! And it is all more delicious and nourishing than animal products. My ultimate goal is to shake my 9 to 5 office job and become a caterer or open my own restaurant and I am forever dreaming of my big lottery win that will allow me to do this.</p>