Delicious Turkey Gravy
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 25mins
- 3 cups water
- 1 turkey neck (can add giblets too)
- 1 cup celery (with leaves)
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 parsley sprigs
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 5 peppercorns
- 4 tablespoons butter (NO SUBSTITUTIONS OR WON'T THICKEN!)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup pan drippings from turkey
- In a large saucepan combine 3 cups water, turkey neck (and giblets, if using), celery, carrots, onion, garlic, bay leaves, parsley, thyme and peppercorns. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for an hour (I simmer all day and sporadically add pan drippings).
- Strain and de-fat the broth.
- Return broth to pan and heat gently.
- Defat the dripping and add to the stock. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour. Stir well and cook until the roux turns a light brown.
- Whisk the roux into the stock and cook until the gravy thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to try new recipes and often try so many new recipes that I forget about all the great ones I've already made. My focus in cooking is to cook healthy and lower in fat without compromising the taste of the food.