Delicious Easy Shepherd's Pie
- Ready In:
- 4 cups mashed potatoes, made from instant mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck or 2 1/2 lbs ground sirloin, not too lean but not too fatty
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 (8 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Unwrap frozen peas & carrots and place box on paper towel in microwave oven, cook for 5 minutes to thaw and drain on the towel.
- In nice sized pan over medium heat, add the oil to coat the pan.
- Add meat, garlic, onions & bay leaves.
- Season with a little Salt & Pepper.
- When the meat is browned, sprinkle with flour and stir while cooking for 3-4 more minutes.
- Stir in beef broth and cook for 2 minutes until mixture starts to thicken.
- Add peas & carrots, parsley & tomatoes.
- If needed you may want to cook down a little uncovered if it seems "too juicy".
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Spoon evenly in sprayed 9 x 13 pan and cover with mashed potatoes & dot with butter.
- Bake 350F oven for 30 minutes or until potatoes are nice and golden.
- **A TIP FOR LOWER FAT IS TO RINSE & DRAIN BROWNED MEAT WITH HOT-HOT WATER BEFORE ADDING BEEF STOCK**.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
VERY good! I made this for shut-ins & they raved. It is a tad high in fat, at 36%, so I would use this as an occasional rather than regular dish & make sure there is some physical activity that follows. Very easy to do, I cut the broth a bit & used lean ground beef rather than regular, & rinsed canned tomatoes to cut salt. A very good dish for pot luck, bring-along gift. Much better than commercially prepared pies.