Delicate Afghan Butter Cookies/Kulche Birinjee (Gluten Free)
This is a beautiful naturally gluten free cookie that looks pretty and tastes very nice masha Allah. I make these as gifts as well as for family. Make sure not to over mix when making the whole batch. I always make a half batch at a time and bake as soon as possible. Over mixing or handling the batter will make the cookies tougher. Found on http://www.afghancooking.net.
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened to room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups rice flour (finely ground, ie not course)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom (please use freshly ground, it makes it so much tastier)
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped unsalted pistachios
- 1⁄4 cup shelled whole unsalted pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the egg whites and mix until smooth.
- Gradually add the rice flour, cardamom and pistachios. Mix well.
- Scoop up a tablespoon of dough and set on a cookie sheet (ungreased is ok). Flatten the dough with the palm of your hand. The cookie will not rise or spread during cooking.
- Press the back of a fork into the dough, making a criss-cross with the tines of the fork (like you would with a peanut butter cookie). If the fork begins to stick, dip it in a glass of cold water from time to time.
- Place a pistachio in the center of the cookie and press lightly. Continue with the remainder of the dough.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Do not let them brown. Let it cool before eating.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Originally tagged just for us here at home, a neighbor was having a slew of grandkids for the weekend & I decided to gift her batches of several cookies I was planning to make anyway! Still kept a handful for ourselves, & we really like these tasty one, especially with the pistachios in 'em! Easy to make & a delight to eat ~ Couldn't be better! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in the Almost 5 Special Event]
These are great little cookies! I made the recipe as is, except I didn't add the chopped pistachios in the cookie batter as I didn't have enough. I did put the pistachio on the top though. They were still very nice, delicate little cookies. I loved the subtle flavour of the cardamom. Perfect with a cup of chai! Thanks!