Delfina's Insalata Del Campo
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 head radicchio
- 1⁄2 head frisee, tender light green leaves only
- 2 ounces baby arugula
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 4 slices pancetta, thick slices (see Note)
- parmesan cheese, wedge
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, shallot, salt and pepper.
- Core the radicchio and cut crosswise into thin ribbons. Tear the frisee into small pieces. Combine the radicchio, frisee and arugula in a salad bowl. Add the walnuts.
- Render the pancetta slowly in a skillet until almost crisp. Drain briefly on paper towels, then cut into 1/4-inch-wide slices. Add to the salad.
- Toss the greens with the vinaigrette. Taste and adjust seasoning. Using a vegetable peeler, shave as much Parmesan as you like into the salad. Toss again gently. Shave a little more Parmesan on top.
- Note: At Delfina, the pancetta is grilled, but home cooks may prefer to render it in a skillet. If pancetta isn't available, you can use bacon instead.
Join The Conversation