Deep Fried Coconut Shrimp
- Ready In:
- vegetable oil, enough to fry shrimp
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- Heat oil in deep fryer or deep skillet to 325*.
- Meanwhile, mix flour, salt, ginger, and pepper.
- Beat egg whites, just until foamy.
- Coat shrimp with flour; dip into egg whites.
- Pat coconut onto shrimp.
- Fry, turning once, for about 2-3 minutes, until golden brown.
Join The Conversation
For the 3/4 cup flour, I used 1/3 cup each: almond flour, coconut flour, regular flour. Then, for the final dip, I mixed unsweetened coconut flakes with erythritol. Very good and crunchy. For a dipping sauce, I mixed Smucker's sugar free apricot jelly with sriracha, vinegar, soy sauce, cayenne pepper, water, minced garlic. Very interesting combination of spices/flavors without being too sweet for supper.
The recipe did not specify whether to use sweetened or unsweetened coconut. We tried it with sweetened, and found that the sugar in the coconut burned in the hot oil in less than two minutes. I believe this recipe would work better with unsweetened coconut. In addition, we found that further breaking down the size of the coconut shreds worked better for coating, at least for the brand we used.