Deep Dark Secret
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates, cut up
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup nuts
- 3 -4 bananas
- 2 oranges, cut up or 2 mandarin oranges
- 1 pint raspberries, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, juice and all
- 1 pint whipping cream
- Combine dates, soda and butter.
- Pour boiling water over; cool.
- Add flour, sugar, salt, egg and vanilla.
- Beat 1 minute; stir in nuts.
- Bake in 9 x 13-inch pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- About 1 hour (or more) before serving, put on platter about half the cake broken in pieces.
- Slice 3 or 4 bananas, 2 oranges, cut up (or use Mandarin oranges) and 1 pint raspberries, drained.
- Add last half of cake pieces and pour over top 1 can crushed pineapple (juice and all).
- Put in refrigerator and just before serving, top with 1 pint whipping cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!