Deceptively Delicious Vegan Chocolate Cookies
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips (Ghirardelli makes some)
- Cream applesauce, oil, sugar and 1 T water.
- Mix in remaining 2-3 T of water and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add to applesauce mixture and mix until combined.
- If applicable, add chocolate chips last.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven 400°F and grease a cookie sheet well.
- Make approximately 24 balls (or you can do drop cookies).
- Bake for approximately 8 minutes—they should be very puffy. Be careful not to over-bake as they will become quite hard when cooled.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet, they will fall considerably due to the lack of egg.
Join The Conversation
I made an account just to review these, they are delicious! I followed the recipe exactly, and I had no problem with it. The only thing is, they are a little too "gooey" for my preference. I like a little crunch to my cookies..so next time I might try baking for 10 minutes instead. Thank you for the wonderful and easy vegan cookie recipe! Definitely satisfies a chocolate craving. (:
OH MY GOD! THESE ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know why this recipe doesn't have more reviews!<br/>I'm a huuuge chocolate-cookie/moist-fudgey-brownie addict! You won't believe that these are vegan! They taste sooo DELICIOUS!<br/><br/>Here are the few additions I added to the recipe:<br/>To the *dry mix* I added:<br/>1 tsp baking power<br/>2 packs of vanilla pudding mix (I made sure they were vegan)<br/>1 tsp cinnamon<br/><br/>To the *wet mix* I added:<br/>1 tsp vanilla<br/><br/>I also incorporated a lot of dark chocolate chips! And instead of pressing down the rolled balls into flattened cookie shapes, I left them as balls and baked them that way. When they came out of the oven they were super soft and moist/gooey inside. Once cooled, they hardened. SO DELISH!
I am putting my trust in this recipe. I substituted sugar for 18 packets of Truvia (stevia sweetener), and chocolate chips for pistachios. But then, I saw I had no applesauce! So I decided to find a recipe to make my own from raw apples. It was pretty simple! But I forgot about how much I needed to use in THIS recipe and accidentally used ALL the applesauce I made to mix the ingredients (I used to apples, about 1-2 cups. This asked for 1/4!). It's in the fridge now, we'll see how this turns out...