Deceptively Delicious Chocolate Chip Muffins
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup prune
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons trans-fat free margarine
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup toasted wheat germ
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
- Put prunes in a blender with 1/4 cup hot water and puree until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the brown sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon until creamy. Stir in buttermilk, chocolate chips, prune puree, egg white, and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and stir until just combined; do not overmix. There should be some lumps in the batter.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with wheat germ. Bake until the tops of the muffins are lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Turn the muffins out onto a rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or wrap individually and freeze for up to 1 month.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note