Decadently Creamy Shrimp and Scallop Scampi With Orzo
I found myself without a car today and had to come up with dinner from things in the freezer and pantry. A quick inventory was pointing me in the direction of scampi but I wanted something a bit different. This is still very garlicky and yet the creamy cheesy sauce makes it somewhat comforting and very decadent. Served it with some steamed broccoli and crusty bread.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups clam broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb shrimp, deveined and peeled
- 1⁄2 lb scallops
- 1 1⁄2 cups orzo pasta
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning or 2 teaspoons bahama mama seasoning
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, Fontina or 3/4 cup asiago cheese
- Melt butter in pan and add garlic and orzo. Add some of the Bahama Mama seasoning (I prefer it to the Old Bay). Cook about 5 minutes or until orzo turns a golden brown. Be careful not to burn it.
- Add clam broth and water. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes stirring occassionally to keep from clumping.
- Add mushrooms, shrimp, and scallops. Stir and cover for 5 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and cheese. Cover and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, or more of the Bahama Mama seasoning to taste.