Decadent Honey Sponge Cake
Another honey cake - this time with a little liqueur and fruit & nuts. Adapted from an old holiday issue of Good Housekeeping. You will need a 10 inch tube pan or angel food cake pan for this recipe. You can try using a flavored coffee, such as Amaretto coffee in this.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1⁄2 cup strong black brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 cup honey
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto (or any nut flavored liqueur) or 2 tablespoons any orange flavored liqueur
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine coffee and baking soda well and set aside.
- Using a mixed on high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add just 1/2 cup of the sugar,2 Tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition, until well combined and whites are in stiff peaks; set aside.
- Using a clean bowl, beat egg yolks with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar until thick and lemony in color.
- Switch to low speed and mix in honey until well combined.
- Add flour, Amaretto (or liqueur of choice) baking powder, and the coffee mixture on very low speed, mixing just until blended, scraping down sides as needed.
- Raise the speed to medium, then beat well for 2 minutes (set a timer), scraping down bowl as needed.
- Using a spatula, fold in the egg whites gently, just to blend- do not overmix.
- Fold in raisins and nuts gently.
- Pour into a 10 inch tube pan with removable bottom (or an angel food cake pan).
- Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until top is springy and golden, and the cracks appear dry, not wet (cracks are normal).
- Have ready a bottle or funnel set upside down on the counter.
- Invert the cake onto the bottle and let cool completely in the pan.
- Once cooled, use a knife or spatula to loosen edges, then remvoe cake from pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Wow, I just made this about an hour ago, and 1/4 of it is already gone. This is a wonderful sponge cake Heather! I love the coffee and amaretto flavor to it. I just can't wait until my father gets home to try this with his evening coffee! Thanks a bunch for this recipe. Keep up the great work!1Reply