Deb's Caldillo (Mexican Ground Beef Stew)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 -4 tablespoons yellow onions, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 -2 tablespoon bacon grease (olive oil may be substituted)
- 2 -4 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 (4 -7 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (or tomato and chili mix)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 -3 potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 4 -6 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 - 1 cup water (added as needed during cooking)
- In a deep pot, crumble and brown beef with onion, garlic, cumin, and bacon grease.
- Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, and chili powder; mix together well.
- Add all canned ingredients and stir well.
- Stir in vinegar to desired tartness.
- Add potatoes.
- Simmer on medium low heat for about 1 hour or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Serve topped with grated cheese and jalapeños, with warm tortillas on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
It IS like fancy chilli (As ChezEduardo sez) and I loved it. I live in England where there are no rotel tomatoes but I used tinned tomatoes and then added about 10 (chopped) jalapeno slices from a jar. I had to use about a cup of chicken broth for there to be enough liquid to cook the potatoes. Something very warming for these cold winter days. We topped ours with a little shredded cheese and fromage frais (sour cream). Thanks!