Date-Nut-Zucchini Spice Bread
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 8 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 fresh dates, pitted & chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a colander with several layers of paper towels. Place zucchini on top and cover with several more layers of paper towels. Add weight and set aside at least 15 minutes, pressing occasionally to remove moisture.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar baking soda, spices, dates (see note at the bottom), and walnuts.
- Add zucchini and toss to coat.
- In a separate container, mix the molasses with the oil and the eggs.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and add wet ingredients.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until uniformly combined.
- Pour into a loaf pan (approx. 9x5x3) and bake 50-55 minutes.
- NOTE: When chopping dates, I usually add a spoonful of the dry ingredients and toss to coat. This prevents the date pieces from sticking together.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I was looking for a healthier zucchini bread & I liked that this recipe did not have much refined sugar. I used 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour, 11/2 cups white whole wheat flour, and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour. The finished product did not resemble or taste like a typical zucchini bread- it is more of a gingerbread. It was still very tasty, however. The only complaint is that the very middle of the loaf near the top did not get baked through, although my tester came out clean.. I can't figure that one out! I will keep this recipe, as I enjoyed it, but my hubby is requesting 'regular' zucchini bread.