Dairy Free Rusks
photo by Cheron
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 15mins
- 800 ml boiling water
- 350 g dairy-free margarine, cut into blocks
- 375 ml brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten well
- 1 kg nutty wheat flour
- 15 ml baking powder
- 10 ml salt
- 5 ml cream of tartar
- 300 ml natural bran (optional)
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 kg muesli
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Grease 1 large rectangle baking pan.
- Mix boiling water, margarine and sugar.
- Allow to cool - should be lukewarm.
- Add beaten eggs and mix well.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and creme of tartar and add to egg mixture.
- Add bran, sunflower seeds and muesli and mix to form a soft dough.
- Pour into baking pan and bake for 1 hour.
- Cool and then cut into rectangles.
- Set oven temperature to 100ºC.
- Space the rusks evenly in the baking pan in the same direction.
- Place the pan in the oven and allow the rusks to dry out with the oven door ajar for 1 hour.
- Turn the rusks onto a new side in the same direction and leave to dry out with the oven door ajar for 1 hour.
- Repeat the last step twice until the rusks have been dried out from all sides.
- Rusks can last for weeks if stored in biscuit jars or tins.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a mother of a 9 year old son who has a dairy (specifically milk proteins) & citrus food intolerance. I also have a 21 month old toddler who has a 60% chance of displaying the same allergies. This necessitated finding a site where I could find allergy free recipes. I have always read recipes for fun, so I really enjoy this site. My family embarked on a healthy eating plan (Theresa's Slimming) and am pleased to report that we all weigh less (except the baby - that would be a problem!). I'm feeling & looking much better. At least her plan feeds the mind & body as comfort food & chocolates are part of the weekly menu. Thanks Theresa! <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">