Dad's Best Chili
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bulk Italian sausage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small chili peppers, seeded & diced (optional extra heat)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, include liquid
- 8 ounces ale (optional)
- 2 (40 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- In a large 6-8 quart stock pot, brown the sausage and ground beef together, adding the diced green pepper and onion in the last 5 minutes or so.
- Add the bouillon cubes, garlic, diced chili pepper (if used), tomato paste, and all seasonings EXCEPT bay leaves. Stir well until completely mixed.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes (including liquid), canned diced green chilis, ale or stout (if used), and the bay leaves. Then carefully mix in the kidney and black beans being careful not to mash the beans.
- Simmer on low for at least 45 minutes, up to 2 hours. Be careful not to burn the bottom.
- Serve with crackers and shredded cheddar cheese; add a splash of pepper sauce if you like it HOT.
- This recipe makes about 6 quarts of chili that tastes even better the second day, and withstands freezing very well.
If using dried beans, adjust the recipe as follows:
- 1 lb. + 1 cup dried kidney beans.
- 1 cup dried black beans.
- 3 Tblsp sugar.
- 1½ Tblsp salt ADDITIONAL to recipe.
- Dried beans must be soaked overnight and PRECOOKED BEFORE being added to chili (simmer black beans for 45 minutes, kidney beans for 1 hr 45 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!