Daal - Bengali Lentil Soup
- Ready In:
- 2 cups moong lentils (orange colored)
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon , 5 spice blend (indian version)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to desired taste
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- wash and rinse lentils under running water several times, dumping out gritty water after each rinse.
- in medium pot boil lentils in 6 cups water for 20 minutes under medium heat, watch for foam that develops and may overflow out of the pot.
- in frying pan saute onions for 10 minutes or until translucent
- add garlic and spices to frying pan and sautee for 5 minutes more, careful not to burn garlic.
- add salt to lentil pot.
- transfer fried ingredients into lentil pot and let cook together for 5-10 more minutes.
- add fresh chopped cilantro at the end for an extra fresh taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!