Curried Taro, Yam, Breadfruit
A French Polyneasian curry.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs taro root, yam, breadfruit (or combination of )
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel vegetable(s), cut into pieces and steam or boil until half cooked.
- Cool and cut into 1/2" cubes. Heat butter and oil in large pot or fry pan.
- Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the prepared vegetables and spices, tossing the spices until well mixed before adding.
- Put a lid on the pan and steam for a few minutes.
- Season to taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I%u2019d never had taro root or breadfruit before, but asked the owner of Four Winds Market if he could get them for me%u2026.luckily he lives in my neighborhood and could drop them off on his way home, so I didn%u2019t have to make a trip on my lunch break from work! I really enjoyed the mix of spices in this%u2026the fresh ginger, garlic, cumin, and cardamom were perfect with the cinnamon (used Saigon cinnamon), chili powder, and coriander. Can%u2019t say I%u2019ll make the extra effort to find taro root and breadfruit again, but will definitely use the mix of spices with sweet potatoes (yams) again! Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7.
Sweet, savory and spicy. I did add a minced jalapeno. Sauteed in ghee in place of the butter and oil. I did over cook the root veggies so it was hard to mix into the spice mix without slightly mashing some. But that didn`t matter in taste. I enjoyed this comfort treat! The leftovers will make great croquettes. Thanks. Made for ZWT 2011