CURRIED SHRIMP or PRAWNS with SAMBAL OELEK
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large celery rib, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sambal oelek (hot pepper sauce)
- 1 lb medium-sized shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch or 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a large frying pan on medium-high heat, add olive oil, stir in curry powder and cook stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add minced ginger and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add onion, celery and garlic; cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add shrimp or prawns and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until prawns have just turned pink, (DO NOT OVERCOOK SHRIMP OR PRAWNS).
- Add sour cream and coconut cream and bring to boil, stirring continuously until smooth.
- In a small bowl, mix together tapioca starch and cold water until smooth.
- While sauce is boiling, add tapioca starch mixture in small amounts, stirring continuously until sauce thickens to the consistency of gravy.
- Serve over cooked rice, pasta of your choice, crisp pappadams or freshly cooked naans.
- Adjust Sambal Oelek to suit your taste.
- You can substitute and use whipping cream instead of coconut cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Burnaby, British Columbia. I am retired and have written a cookbook entitled, From Uncle Bill's Kitchen. I am a recipe developer, author, publisher, distributor and a chef. My cookbook is very unique as I have a Nutrient Analysis for each ingredient used in each recipe that shows you the values for Calories, Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. A high-lighted bar shows the values on a per serving basis plus the Fat/Cal%. From Uncle Bill's Kitchen contains tried-and-true, tested, easy to follow reipes for both novice and experienced cooks. You'll find old Russian, Ukrainian, and other ethnic favorites, along with modern West Coast dishes. The Nutrient Analysis will please the health conscious. Uncle Bill's favorite recipes will reward efforts of the most creative cook and provide the family with many tantalizing, healthful meals. I have appeared on 48 various Television Shows in Vancouver, Burnaby, Kelowna and Kamploops, B.C. Canada, as well as in Palm Springs, CA. In Palm Springs, CA, I have been a Guest on the JACKIE OLDEN RADIO SHOW and THE JOEY ENGLISH RADIO SHOW, twice a year since 1998. I also do demo cooking shows at CHAPTERS BOOK STORES, SAVE-ON-FOOD STORES, GALLOWAY'S FOODS, WESTMINSTER PUBLIC QUAY MARKET, and in the U.S. at BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSTORES in Palm Springs, CA, Phoenix and Yuma, AZ. I was in Palm Springs, CA from June 10th to July 14th. 2002 and again appeared twice on the Jackie Olden Show, twice on the Joey English Show and pre-taped a TV COOKING SHOW with Jackie Olden that is aired on TV from Palm Springs, CA to Los Angeles, CA.