Curried Mussel Pie
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Most Bermudians love some mussel pie at the yearly Cup Match cricket game. The local custom is to have the lid of the hot pie sliced open and a dollop of mayonnaise inserted. (Taken from the Spirit of Bermuda cookbook.)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 40mins
- 1⁄4 bushel small mussels, scrubbed
- 2 lbs potatoes, cut in small dice
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid gravy browner
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup cold vegetable shortening
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- FOR THE PIE FILLING:.
- Steam the mussels in 3/4 cup of water and reserve the broth. Remove the mussels from their shells and keep ready.
- Strain the broth of all grit (a fine strainer or cheesecloth should be used) and reheat.
- Boil the onions, potatoes, thyme and parsley together in the water until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the curry powder, worcestershire sauce, gravy browning, and mussels and bring to a boil.
- Thicken with cornstarch mixed with cold water, added while the mixture is boiling.
- If it's not thick enough, repeat with more cornstarch and water.
- Allow the filling to cool before proceeding.
- FOR THE PASTRY:.
- Stir together the flour and the salt.
- Cut the shortening into the flour until it resembles small peas.
- Sprinkle with a little water and toss to moisten the dough. Work the dough as little as possible, using as few strokes as you can to get it all combined into a ball.
- Flatten slightly and wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for atleast an hour or for up to 4 days in the fridge. (a month in the freezer).
- Let dough soften at room temperature before rolling out.
- Use the inverted pie pan or ramekin to measure the circle of dough needed.
- Fill pans or ramekins, cut and fit dough to top of pie.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly within.
- (Please note that the cooking time I have added is merely an estimate, as is the amount of pie.).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION