Curried Lentil and Chickpea Burgers
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 2 teaspoons chicken stock powder or 2 teaspoons vegetable stock powder
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 60 ml fresh lemon juice (1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 425 g chickpeas, drained
- salt and pepper
- Boil lentils with stock powder in water until soft, 30-40 minutes. Drain.
- Use 2 tablespoons of oil to fry the garlic and onion until softened. Reduce heat to low.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, lemon juice, sugar, mixed herbs, taragon, carraway seeds, coriander and ginger.
- Add the lentils and mix through thoroughly. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely. (For best flavour refrigerate overnight).
- Combine the chickpeas, half of the lentil mix and the egg in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl, add the remaining lentil mix, coconut and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until combined well.
- Shape the mixture into burgers, approximately 1 inch thick and 3 inches across. Toss in a little flour, brush excess off.
- To Fry: Fry on low-med heat for approximately 3-4 minutes each side or until golden.
- To bake: Preheat oven at 250c. Place on a tray with a sheet of baking paper. Spray with oil on all floured areas. Bake for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes or until golden.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love cooking for pleasure. I hate the chore of cooking. My father is a chef and is hard to please so I have always strived to get my offerings to taste good. <br>I love traditional recipes with an edge. I appreciate subtle flavours too. Many of my friends are awaiting my full appreciation of chilli hot and spicy foods... I'm working on it SLOWLY :) <br> <br>I Was Adopted banner: <br><img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">