- Ready In:
Basic Pastry Dough
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 cup currants (can sub raisins)
- cinnamon, according to your taste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- For the Dough:.
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut in the shortening.
- Pour hot water over butter and stir to melt.
- Add lemon juice and egg yolk. Mix well.
- Stir liquid into dry ingredients and knead.
- Chill dough overnight.
- To make Currants Roll:.
- Preheat oven at 350°F.
- Roll out the dough in a large rectangle.
- Spread the butter, sprinkle the cinnamon (according to your own taste).
- Spread and press in the currants on the dough, and sprinkle a little sugar.
- Roll the long side of the dough up like you would with cinnamon roll dough.
- Moisten the edge with a little milk, press together to seal.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet or dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool on a rack and cut.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm 23 years old and I live in Trinidad. One of the islands in the Caribbean. I love baking and have a major sweet tooth but I am trying to cook more savoury foods and I am enjoying trying new recipes. Recently I have come to love photographing the food I make. Too bad they don't all come out photo worthy, but at least they still taste good! lol <img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/BANNERS/SuperBowlSTKR.jpg> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/BANNERS/TeaSuppers-STKR.jpg">