Cumquat Marmaladequat Marmalade
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 kg kumquat
- 1 1⁄4 liters water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1⁄4 kg sugar, warmed
- Wash cumquats well. Pull cumquats apart and remove the pips the chop the cumquat up finely. Place the Put the fruit in a bowl. Add 1.25 litres water, cover with plastic wrap and leave overnight.
- Put two saucer plates in the freezer (you will see why later) Place the cumquats in a large saucepan with the lemon juice. Bring slowly to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the fruit is tender.
- Add the sugar. Stir over low heat, without boiling, for 5 minutes, or until all the sugar has dissolved. Return the mixture to the boil and boil rapidly, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes. Skim any scum from the surface during cooking with a skimmer or slotted spoon. When the marmalade falls from a tilted wooden spoon in thick sheets without dripping, start testing for setting point.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, place a little marmalade onto one of the cold plates and place in the freezer for 30 seconds. A skin will form on the surface and the marmalade will wrinkle when pushed with your finger when setting point is reached. Remove any scum from the surface.
- Spoon immediately into clean, warm jars. Seal jars and turn upside down for 2 minutes, then invert and leave to cool. Label and date. Store in a cool, dark place for 6-12 months. After opening, store in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!