Cuban-Style Pork Shoulder
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- 9 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground dried chile
- 2 dried bay leaves, finely crumbled
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 5 lbs pork shoulder, bone and skin removed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 3 onions
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable broth or 1/3 cup chicken broth
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic, salt, oregano, cumin, black pepper, chili pepper, crumbled bay leaves and orange zest.
- Stir in the vinegar, orange and lime juices to make a coarse paste.
- Add the pork pieces and toss until the pieces are evenly coated with the spice paste.
- Set aside to marinate while you finish the other preparations.
- Trim and cut the onions lengthwise into 1/4 -inch-thick slices.
- Arrange the slices in an even layer on the bottom of the slow cooker insert.
- Pour the broth over the onions.
- Arrange the pork in an even layer over the onions, pouring over any reserved marinade.
- Cover the insert and place it in the slow cooker.
- Set the cooker to high heat and cook 4 to 4 1/2 hours until the pork is fork-tender. (8 hours on low).
- Remove from heat and crack the lid to allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Gently stir the pork with the onions and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation