Cuban Sandwich “Cinnamon” Rolls
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 40mins
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 beaten for egg wash
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the counter
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil, for coating bowl and baking dish
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shredded cooked pork shoulder
- 3⁄4 cup honey mustard, plus more for serving
- 8 ounces thinly sliced swiss cheese
- 8 ounces thinly sliced ham
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cilantro leaf, plus more for garnish
- 2 large dill pickles, sliced into quarters lengthwise, plus 1 cup chopped for topping
- 1 egg, beaten
- To make the dough, in the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk to combine milk, melted butter, eggs, egg yolk, sugar, salt, black pepper and yeast. Add the flour and place on a mixer with dough hook attached. Mix on low for about 5 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Coat a large bowl lightly with olive oil. Transfer dough to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm draft-free place to rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 13x9 inch baking pan with olive oil. In a medium bowl, whisk to combine olive oil, lime juice, orange juice, honey, cumin, salt and chopped garlic.
- Dust counter liberally with flour and roll dough out into a large rectangle, about 16x12. The longest edge should be parallel with the edge of the counter.
- Use a brush or spoon to spread the honey mustard to cover dough. Place a layer of cheese over the mustard, then ham, then pulled pork. Drizzle with lime and orange vinaigrette then top with shredded mozzarella cheese and cilantro. Lay pickles horizontally, parallel to the long edge of the dough to make rolling possible.
- Roll dough into a log, then cut into 12 rounds. Place rolls, cut sides down, in prepared baking dish. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Uncover rolls, brush with egg wash and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Top with chopped pickles, cilantro leaves and serve with a side of honey mustard.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!