Crusty Cheddar Bread
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water, Warm, 110-115 Deg. F
- 1 cup cottage cheese, at room temperature (small curd kind)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄4 cups unbleached flour, Unsifted (small curd kind)
- 1 tablespoon butter, Room Temperature
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, Sharp, Grated
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and let stand 5 minutes.
- Gently stir to completely dissolve.
- With an electric mixer, blend the softened yeast into the cottage cheese, sugar, salt and egg.
- Add the flour in 1/2 cup portions to form a stiff but light dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish and stir the dough down, then add 1 cup of the grated cheddar cheese.
- Turn into the buttered dish.
- Let rise 30 to 40 minutes longer or until almost doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush the top with butter.
Join The Conversation
WOW! This bread is GREAT! Nice light moist bread with beautiful cheddar stripes when you cut it open. The whole family loved it and we finished it within hours of it coming out of the oven. No problem rising but I had it in a nice warm place covered with plastic. Also pay close attention to the yeast measured in Tblsp when typically it is measured in Tsp. This is one of my favorite breads of all time and I bake a lot of bread. I folded the cheddar in without much action so there were veins of cheddar throughout instead of just shreds all over. It was wonderful! Better than my favorite Three Cheese Panera Bread! Takes more than the 15 min prep time mentioned.