Crushed Tomatoes (Canning Recipe)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Pay attention to processing times for safety. Recipe can be easily doubled, tripled or quadrupled, if desired. From Amy Thielen, recipe developer at Country Living magazine. Cook time is based on final processing time.
- Ready In:
- 12 lbs tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 4 sprigs fresh basil
- lemon juice (1 tbsp. in every pint jar)
- sterlized jar
- Peel the tomatoes and cut them into quarters.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the tomatoes, crushing lightly with a potato masher, leaving a few chunks. Add the salt, sugar and basil and bring to a simmer. Skim any foam.
- Cook for 15 minutes over high heat, stirring often to keep it from sticking, until the tomatoes have thickened to your liking.
- Add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice to each pint jar. Ladle the hot crushed tomatoes into the warm sterilized jars up to 1/4 inch from the top of the jar. Top with sterilized lids and gently screw on a banded top.
- Lower into a boiling water batch and process pints 35 minutes or 40 minutes for quarts. (If you live at 1,000 or more feet above sea level, add 5 minutes to the processing time.).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION