Crunchy Tater Tots from Scratch
photo by AZ Food Critic
- Ready In:
- In a large size sauce pan or Dutch oven, place peeled potatoes with water and bring to a rapid boil un-covered, cook the potatoes until slightly fork tender, but still firm in the center, (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Let potatoes cool completely, then grate them using a cheese grater or food mill, you can also smash them with a fork for a more lumpy texture.
- Add the flour, egg, salt and pepper and mix by gently folding until completely combined.
- Form into small 1 inch balls, and then shape them into a small size barrel shapes, (pictured).
- Place them in the freezer for about 1 hour to let them cool completely and firm up.
- Heat the oil in a large size skillet, Dutch oven or fryer to 350 degrees F. and then fry the cooled tots until golden brown on all sides, (about 2 to 3 minutes). Drain excess oil on paper towels.
- You can freeze the tots after frying. (If you are planning on freezing for a later time, don’t fry tots completely golden brown, you can brown them to perfection later in the oven). Place into a freezer zip-lock bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Remove from the freezer when you need them and bake on a greased cookie sheet in a 400 degree F. oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Makes about 6 dozen 1 1/2 inch tots.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!