Crunchy Lentil Salad
- Ready In:
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (garlic-infused is great)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- Combine lentils, water and bay leaf in saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered for 15 minutes (or until lentils are tender but crunchy). Drain thoroughly.
- Mix lentils with minced celery, carrot, onion and parsley. NOTE: This salad is much better if you make sure all vegetables are finely diced; the flavors blend much better than if you've used a regular-to-large dice.
- Mix the dressing: Mix olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour over lentils and toss.
- You can serve this right away, but the flavors blend beautifully if you refrigerate for a day or two. Serve at room temperature.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Love this salad, great to have in the fridge for quick meals. I agree about the baby beluga/ black lentils-- they are perfect for this. Colors are festive, and the black lentils hold their shape so well. Trader Joes has excellent precooked baby belugas which make the recipe even faster & easier. After letting the salad marinate overnight in the fridge, I corrected the seasoning with lots more lemon juice and more cumin. I would never had thought to use cumin, but it's PERFECT and brings the whole dish together. Great salad, looks festive over baby greens. Now a staple!