Crow's Nest Pudding
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 6 tart green apples, peeled and cored
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 egg whites
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons margarine or 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 8 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Butter a 2 quart baking dish.
- Place apples in prepared dish.
- Stuff the core of each apple with brown sugar, pressing down slightly.
- Reserve any remaining sugar.
- Sprinkle all the apples with the 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
- Place dish in preheated oven to start baking while the batter is prepared.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, beat yolks until they change color.
- Stir milk and maple flavoring into beaten yolks.
- In a third bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar, baking powder, salt and any remaining brown sugar until well mixed.
- Pour flour mixture all at once into egg yolk mixture and stir until smooth.
- Fold beaten egg whites into yolk batter.
- Remove apples from oven and pour batter evenly over and around apples.
- Bake in preheated oven 45 to 60 minutes more, until crust has browned.
- Turn each apple, surrounded by some fluffy crust onto a plate and serve at once with lemon sauce or sweetened cream with a dash of nutmeg.
- To make lemon sauce:Combine cornstarch, water, lemon peel and lemon juice in a small heavy saucepan.
- Beat in egg.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and clear.
- Stir in margarine and sugar.
Join The Conversation