Crosby Elementary School Sloppy Joes--Adapted
photo by katew
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 3⁄4 cups catsup
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 3 tablespoons sweet relish
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped eggplant (optional)
- 14 large buns, split
- Brown the beef in a large pot and drain well.
- Return it to the pot with all the vegetables and saute until the celery is just tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the buns) and cook, stirring, until hot.
- Divide the beef mixture among the buns and serve immediately.
- The beef mixture freezes well!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The man of the house made this and loved it -- it really does call back the flavors of an old-fashioned school cafeteria for better or worse. He more or less doubled all the veggies, and offered the opinion that, if you don't, you might as well leave them out. Filling and delicious. Made as a prize in Top Favorites of 2009.
I made this last night because I had 5 kids to feed! Everyone really enjoyed it, and gobbled it up. I did add extra eggplant (half a large eggplant), bell pepper (almost a whole one) celery (1 full stalk) and onion (1 medium), and I also added a 440g can of diced tomatoes, and a 125g can of 4 bean mix. The vegetables were all very well hidden and I would possibly add some grated carrot and zucchini nxt time i make it too. I sprinkled some chili flakes on mine at serving. [Made for PRMR]
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p> </p> 8724194"