- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 round loaf artisan Italian bread
- 18 slices provolone cheese
- 18 slices ham
- 18 slices pepperoni
- 18 slices genoa salami
- 3⁄4 cup sweet pepper rings
- 1 onion, sliced
- olive oil
- oregano and basil
- Slice bread 13 times, almost all the way through but leaving 1/2 inch space at the bottom. Layer three slices of cheese and top with 3 slices each of Mortadella, Capicola, and Salami. Top with pepper rings and onions.
- Sprinkle with Italian Seasonings and repeat 5 times.
- Fold each bundle in half and tuck down between every other slice of bread to create 6 sandwiches. The sandwich may have "arched" its back, gently push down and wrap tightly in one then a second piece of heavy foil.
- Place in crockpot on top of a small aluminum foil pan or balls of foil, do not touch bottom of pan. Pour in 1/4 cup of water (I never like to have a "dry" crockpot, it just seemed to make sense to me to have a little water in there), it does nothing for the sandwich since it is wrapped up so tightly in foil. Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours.
- To serve cut each sandwich apart, drizzle the insides lightly with olive oil, and enjoy. Makes six sandwiches with the center two being quite generous in size.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!