Crock Pot Smokey Black Beans
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 5mins
- 1 lb dried black beans, soaked overnight
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- ** Soak beans over night
- Drain the black beans from their soaking water and place in a slow cooker. Fill with enough fresh water to cover them. Cover and set to High.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until fat is rendered. Add onions; cook and stir until onions are tender.
- Stir this into the beans along with the brown sugar, liquid smoke, molasses and jalapeno. Stir to blend, then cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or until beans are tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Had problems with this as did evelyn/athens...beans just didn't soften after 10 hours. Seems I remembered something about this from using Adelle Davis cookbook, and so checked my copy..."If salt, fat or molasses is added at the beginning of cooking, the cooking time is prolonged...add these seasonings and others only after the legume is starting to become tender." Will try this again and I'm sure it will be better next time. Penny
see 1 more reviews