Crock Pot Short Ribs in Red Wine Sauce or Stove Top
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 30mins
- 1 (14 g) package porcini mushrooms or (14 g) package shiitake mushrooms, dried
- 3 lbs beef simmering beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups button mushrooms
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon crumbled dried rosemary
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, 796 ml
- 3⁄4 cup red wine (or 3/4 cup beef stock and 1 tbsp. wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In measuring cup, pour boiling water over porcini mushrooms; let stand for 20 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid. I like to strain the liquid through a paper towel lined sieve, because of the sand in the liquid from the mushrooms. Set mushrooms and liquid aside.
- Cut ribs into 2 bone pieces. Broil, turning once, until browned, 5 minutes. Place in slow cooker.
- In skillet, heat oil over medium high heat; sauté porcini and button mushrooms, onions, garlic, carrots, rosemary, salt and pepper until softened, 5 minutes. Scrape into slow cooker. Add tomatoes.
- Whisk together soaking liquid, wine and tomato paste; pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or until meat is tender. Skim off fat.
- In small bowl, whisk together flour, vinegar and 1/3 cup water; whisk into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- VARIATION: Stove Top Short Ribs in Red Wine Sauce: Follow recipe as directed, using Dutch oven instead of slow cooker; cover and simmer over medium low heat until ribs are tender, about 2 hours. Skim of fat. Reduce flour to 2 tablespoons and water to ¼ cup; whisk into pan and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley.
- Canadian Living Make it Tonight.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!