Crock Pot Pork with Root Beer Sauce
Yes, root beer. And it's really good. And it's great for busy days.
- Ready In:
- 3 -4 lbs pork butt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 -3 onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup root beer (not diet!)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
Root Beer sauce
- 3 cups root beer (not diet)
- 1 cup chili sauce (heinz makes a really good one)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (like tabasco or texas pete)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- toasted hot dog bun
- chopped onion
- tomatoes, sliced
- Rub meat with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet brown roast in hot oil.
- Put in crock pot with garlic, onions and root beer.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
- ------RootBeer Sauce---------.
- In a medium saucepan combine the rootbeer, chili sauce and garlic.
- Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring often.
- Reduce to 2 cups.
- Add hot sauce.
- Remove meat and with 2 forks shred.
- Place on toasted bun with condiments and spoon on the sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
There are always left overs when cooking a pork roast.<br/>My go to dish for the next day is usually chile verde...but this time I was cooking for a ".not too spicy" audience....so I googled and saw hundreds of root beer pulled pork recipes.<br/>I tried this one and felt the need to tell folks that are skeptical about the flavors...<br/>you are right...be wary.<br/>The flavors do taste odd...sticky and sweet, like drinking from a bottle of soda after it has been sitting outside all day in the sun, flat. The leftovers made me sickish....if fact I should toss the rest right now.
It's a Big Fav in my house! Everyone loves this recipe. I don't use my any hot sauce but thats just me. The key is slow cooking the rootbeer sauce. if you don't cook it long enough it's too strong. My husband go nuts over this stuff. And i use just about any type of pork roast i have and they all have gotten the job done right.