Crock Pot Creamy Enchilada Chowder
photo by MsSally
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 10mins
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel, mexican festival tomatoes, drained (or other chopped tomatoes with green chilies)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 (28 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half-and-half (or use another cup of milk if you don't want to use half and half, I always use only milk)
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- chopped onion
- flour tortilla
- Place the pinto beans, tomatoes, and frozen corn in a 4-qt crock pot and mix well.
- In a large bowl combine the enchilada sauce and cream of chicken soup, mixing well to blend.
- Gradually stir in the milk, mixing until smooth.
- Pour over bean/corn/tomato mix in crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
- If using half and half add it and the cheese and stir until cheese melted. Turn crockpot to high and cook for another 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve hot soup in individual bowls topped with sour cream, shredded cheese, and/or chopped onion as desired. I also serve flour tortillas on the side for dipping into the soup.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Oh yum, I love it when fall arrives and "soup weather" begins! I brought this chowder in my crockpot for lunch for some of us in my workplace and we really enjoyed it. I too added about 5 oz of cooked chicken breast, diced up and thought it had just the right amount of heat to it. Very filling, I just wish it was a little thicker than the end result. I think next time I'll cut the milk in half, then add more as needed. Thanks for the delish recipe!
Really an impressive recipe!! I made this last night with the following changes: cream of celery (it was all i had), threw in a frozen chicken breast and shredded it after a few hours, Light Velveeta to save on calories and - get this - powdered milk! I was all the way through the recipe before I noticed that I was completely out of milk, so I used powdered with water. I also didn't add any milk or half and half at the end as I wanted it thick. It was FABULOUS and will become a staple in our house. Thank you so much!!
This was so good and easy. I made a few adjustments so it was a not quite so quilty pleasure. I used reduced fat soup, and instead of milk, I used 1 can (12 oz) of fat-free evaporated milk. Then when 8 hours was up I used a 12 oz block of 2 % velveta and about 1/2 c of skim milk. Worked out perfectly. Not overly spicy and we topped it with a spoonfull of fat-free sour cream. YUMMY!
My husband was asking me find a tortilla soup/enchilada soup recipe like they serve in restaurants. This was awesome and he gave it 2 thumbs up! I did make a few changes to it only because it's just the two of us. First, I used a 18 oz can enchilada sauce and only added 1/2 cup milk. We like the thicker soups. Also, our local grocer had rotiserre chicken on sale so I de-boned it and added about 2/3 of it. Yummy-yummy-yummy!! We topped it with sour cream and crushed Fritos. A real treat on a below zero degree day in WI!!
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I grew up in Tucson but moved to Colorado in 1989 and live in a household with my husband, Dad, daughter and 3-year old twin granddaughters. Our 8-year old grandson spends 2 nights a week with us. All of that adds up to often difficult menu ideas to met everyone's tastes. Zaar is very addicting and I love trying the recipes I find here. I like to find recipes of people that I see are still active on Zaar and love it when I hear back from the Chef after I review the recipe. Everytime someone reviews one of my recipes, I like to find one of theirs to make and review as quickly as possible. It's a way for me to find great chefs I don't know yet too! My husband has high blood sugar so we try to watch our carbs, but it is not easy because we love them so much! I was diagnosed with brain tumors in 2005 and so far have had 5 surgeries that have left my eyelid droopy. I hope to have a surgery that will correct that soon!! There is still one tumor they have not removed but my wonderful doctor James Garrity at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN says they will leave it alone until or if it ever causes problems!