Crock Pot Bratwurst and Peppers
My brother-in-law shared this recipe with us. It is a very easy and delicious recipe. A nice variation from grilled brats, particularly during very cold weather when you don't want to get the grill out, or when you're too busy watching a Green Bay Packer game! This recipe is definitely a Midwest U.S. region favorite.
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 15mins
- 6 fresh bratwursts (preferably Johnsonville brand)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 sweet onion, sliced and quartered
- 1 apple, halved and sliced (Granny Smith works well)
- 36 ounces beer
- hoagie roll
- Lightly brown bratwursts in butter.
- Layer one half of the bell peppers, onion and apple in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Place 3 bratwursts on top.
- Repeat with remaining veggies and bratwurst.
- Pour beer over all.
- Cook on high for 1- 2 hours.
- Turn to low and cook at least 4 more hours.
- Serve brat and pepper mixture on rolls with mustard or favorite condiment.
- Excellent with sauerkraut and German potato salad.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I probably used a beer that was too "hoppy." (I used Wild Goose Oatmeal Stout. The flavor soaked into the brats wonderfully, but it was too rich for the veggies--it completely overpowered the peppers). This is a nice, easy recipe, and I think it would be excellent with a pale ale or a bock...maybe even a cider.Reply