Crock Pot Beef and Mushroom Stew
I wanted a stew that I could make in a crock pot that had mushrooms in it but no tomatoes...this is what I came up with. The family loved it. Some ate it "as is" and some added a little ketchup. When I don't have beef stock available, I use 4-5 beef bouillon cubes dissolved in the water. Canned mushrooms can be used in a pinch.
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 20mins
- 4 -5 red potatoes, diced
- 1 cup carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 lb stew meat
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 4 -6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Place veggies and meat in crock pot in order given. Mix the salt, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce into the water and pour over all. Make sure liquid covers ingredients. Add more water or broth if necessary so it does.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours. In the last hour or so, dissolve the cornstarch in 1/4 cup water and stir into stew. Allow to cook long enough for gravy to thicken.
- Serve with Recipe #332377 or Recipe #221438.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was very good. I didn't see the water as an ingredient and used all beef stock so it was a little salty for my tastes but the veggies and meat were perfectly done and soft. I had a little trouble with it thickening up so I added an extra roux. Also this just barely fit into my 3 quart crockpot. This was almost like having pot roast with a lot of extra gravy, great comfort food!Reply