Crispy Baked Meringues
I saw this recipe on a recent episode of "French Food at Home" on Food Network Canada. These meringues are crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. Note that I've reduced the amount of icing sugar as the original version is just a little too sweet.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Whip the egg whites and salt into peaks.
- Add the vanilla, and continue beating until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl, stir the cream of tartar into the regular sugar and whisk into the whites very gradually, a spoonful at a time, until the meringue is stiff and the sugar has dissolved.
- Sift together the icing sugar and cornstarch. Sift over the meringue and gently fold until fully incorporated.
- Pipe or spoon the meringues onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Each meringue should be about the size of a bar of soap.
- Bake at 225ºF/110ºC until cream-coloured and crisp on top when tapped, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven. Cool on the trays. Store in an air-tight container.