Creole-Style Bean Soup
photo by Mary Jenny
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups white pea beans, soaked and drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup diced cooked ham or 1/2 cup smoked sausage
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (540 ml) can tomatoes
- 1 (156 ml) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 (300 g) package frozen okra, partly thawed and sliced
- 1 cup medium-sized shrimp
- 2 -3 drops hot pepper sauce (optional)
- In a large saucepan combine beans with broth. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer 45 minutes until beans are tender.
- Add ham, celery, onion, garlic, seasonings and sauces. Break up tomatoes; mix with tomato paste and mustard; stir into bean mixture. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Bring to boil; add okra and cook 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in shrimp, cook 3 to 4 minutes until shrimp and okra are cooked. Serve with whole grain bread or cornmeal muffins.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!