Creole Crab Mini Cupcakes
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
20 min cupcakes
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1⁄3 cup onion, and celery and red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces crabmeat, drained well
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temerature
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- To make cupcakes: Heat oven to 350, spray nonstick mini-muffin tins with cooking spray or lightly oil them.
- Muffin cups shoud be 1 34 to 2 inches in diameter. Set aside.
- In large saute pan or skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the onion, celery and bell pepper for about 3-4 minutes, until just starting to get tender. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour sugar baking powder and Old Bay seasoning.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, milk and sour cream.
- When the sweated vegatables are cool, add cornmeal mixture to the egg mixture; mix lightly.
- Stir in vegatables and all melted butter from the pan, do not overmix.
- Fold in crabmeat just until evenly distributed.
- Spoon heaping tablespoon batter into each muffin cup.
- You should fill 20 cups.
- Bake cupcakes for 12-14 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean (rotate the pans after the first 7-8 minutees of baking).
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then carefully remove them from pan and let cool briefly on wire rack before frosting.
- Refrigeration is imperative, as the crab will go bad if left at room temp for an extended period of time.
- Bring to room temp or warm for a minute or so in oven before frosting.
To make frosting:
- In small bowl mash cream cheese with a fork, then whisk in milk and lemon juice until smooth and creamy.
- Top each cupcake with 1 teaspoon of frosting, then sprinkle with about 1/4 teaspoon chives for garnish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"