Creole Baked Cheese Rice
I found this on a Cajun website, and I'm so happy I did.
- Ready In:
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk or 1 1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Tabasco sauce
- Arrange alternate layers of rice, cheese, peppers, and onion in buttered baking dish.
- Mix eggs, milk, salt, and pepper (and pepper sauce) and pour over rice and cheese.
- Top with breadcrumbs and butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until set.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Mmmmm....We really liked this dish! Great side for DH's chicken and worked great as a main dish for me served with broccoli. My changes were to add a fresh minced jalapeno that I needed to use up, minced white onion, plain bread crumbs seasoned with a 1/2 t. of poultry seasoning, 1/4 t. onion powder, garlic powder and oregano.As others suggested, I mixed the rice, cheese, pepper and onion together instead of layering. I added a little more cayenne and about a t. of hot sauce to the milk mixture. I'm adding this to my review because it turned out so well that I want to be sure to do the same next time. I bet the recipe is delicious as it, but I was in the mood to tinker and it happened to work out. Thanks so much for sharing the flexible keeper recipe!