Creamy White Bean Soup
photo by DuChick
- Ready In:
- Heat olive oil in a 4 quart saucepan on medium high heat.
- Add onion, carrots and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until they are soft.
- Add beans, water, and seasonings.
- Stir and reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Take half of soup and blend in blender until smooth.
- Return soup to bean mixture in pan and stir.
- Ladle into bowls and drizzle with olive oil before serving.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Note: You can add 2 cups of minced spinach after pureeing soup and cook until done.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
When I made this soup, I did make changes to the recipe after I read the reviews. I only added 3 cups of water, I only used 1/2 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning (which still added plenty of seasoning to the soup), I didn't add any salt, but I did end up adding 3-1/2 teaspoons of chicken bouillon granules (which gave the soup more flavor), plus I only added a 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper. I did add another diced carrot to the soup, and I also added another can of cannellini beans (which I drained and mashed them with a potato masher), and then added them just before I simmered the soup. Because I mashed the additional can of beans, I didn't purée any of the soup in a blender. And because I did decrease the amount of water, and added 4 large cloves of minced garlic, you could definitely taste and smell the garlic, but since we're garlic lovers, we enjoyed it's added flavor to the soup. I skipped drizzling olive oil onto the soup, as well as the parmesan cheese and spinach. This was a delicious soup, and I served it along with egg salad sandwiches during Lent.