Creamy Sausage-Tomato Rotini
Additional Information 521 calories, 22 g total fat, 66 mg cholesterol, 1000 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 21 g protein, 0% vitamin A, 7% vitamin C, 18% calcium, 16% iron.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb sweet bulk sausage or 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 1/2 cups light cream
- 12 ounces rotini pasta (corkscrew pasta) or 12 ounces gemelli pasta (twisted ropes)
- 3 tablespoons finely snipped fresh basil
- freshly ground romano cheese
- In a heavy large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, garlic, and red pepper over medium heat until sausage is cooked through, stirring to break up pieces of sausage. Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes; boil gently, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add half-and-half or light cream. Simmer 4 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return to saucepan.
- Add sauce to pasta; heat through, tossing to coat. Serve on warm plates. Sprinkle with basil. Pass the Romano.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation