Creamy Sausage and Triple Mustard Casserole
photo by MarieRynr
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 -12 good quality pork sausage links
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 250 g small cremini mushrooms or 250 g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 medium cooking apple, peeled, cored and cut into small chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 300 ml vegetable stock or 300 ml chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 (142 ml) carton double cream
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish or deep sided frying pan.
- Gently fry the sausages until they are golden brown all over; then remove from the casserole.
- Add the onion and saute until it softens and becomes nicely golden.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the apple chunks, bay leaf, sage and stock.
- Bring to the boil, then return the sausages to the casserole.
- Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and gently cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The apple pieces should break down and thicken the stock slightly.
- If they are still holding their shape, mash them with the back of a wooden spoon and stir in .
- Mix the mustards into the cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into the casserole and increase the heat.
- Leave the lid off and simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Serve with a big bowl of creamy mashed potato or golden saute potatoes and green vegetables such as green beans, wilted spinach, broccoli or peas.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We absolutely loved this. The only changes I made were to sub low-fat evaporated milk for the cream (otherwise my son would not have eaten it) and I used fresh field mushrooms. The sauce was indescribably delicious, the apple, mustard and sage melding together perfectly. I served this dish with Welsh Vegetable Pie #107846 and it was a match made in heaven. Thank you MarieAlice for another great recipe. I will surely make this again.