Creamy Salsify Gratin
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 3 lbs salsify
- vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart half-and-half
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded (1/4 pound)
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded (1/4 pound)
- Fill a large bowl with water and add lemon juice or vinegar.
- Peel the salsify and trim the ends.
- Transfer the salsify to the acidulated water as you peel it.
- Slice the salsify 1/4 inch thick (a mandoline or food processor makes this a quick process).
- Return the salsify immediately to the water to keep it white.
- Move the oven rack to the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and cook over moderate heat for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Add the half-and-half and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Cook, whisking, for about 3 minutes, or until the half-and-half is slightly thickened.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Drain the salsify and pat it completely dry.
- Add the salsify to the pot and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Pour the salsify mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and sprinkle with the cheeses.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbling.
- Preheat the broiler and broil the gratin for about 5 minutes, or just until the cheese is golden and crusty.
- Let the gratin stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!