Creamy Red Potato Leek Soup
- Ready In:
- 5 -6 medium red potatoes, washed, partially peeled and cut into small, bite-sized chunks
- 5 -6 pieces turkey bacon
- 1 leek, washed thoroughly and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian or herbal seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup colby-monterey jack cheese
- Fry the bacon until brown and crispy. Remove to paper towels to drain. (Leave the bacon grease in the pan). When they're cooled, cut the strips into small pieces.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes in a large pot for about 10 minutes or until soft. Drain.
- Sauté the leeks (in the same pan you used to cook the bacon) until lightly browned.
- Add the butter and flour to the sautéed leeks, stirring for about 5 minutes or so, until the butter melts and the flour is cooked.
- Add the broth and stir until mixture thickens. Add the half and half (you may need to add more, depending on how thin or thick you like it).
- Add potatoes, herbs, garlic powder and bacon into the soup; add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer covered for about 15-20 minutes Add the cheese at the very end and stir until it melts. Serve with crusty bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I like cooking. A lot.