Creamy Pesto Chicken and Gnocchi
- Ready In:
- 1 quart chicken broth or 1 quart stock, plus water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3⁄4 cup basil pesto
- 1 teaspoon sundried tomato and basil seasoning (like Sbarro) or 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package potato gnocchi
- grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Put a pot on the stove with the chicken broth in it and heat to boiling.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, saute the onion in the oil on medium heat until soft. Add the minced garlic and saute for a minute more until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and saute until lightly brown and most of their liquid is evaporated; push to the side of the pan. Add the chicken and saute, stirring often, until just cooked through. Add the soup, the pesto, and the seasonings to the pan and stir to combine everything thoroughly. Reduce heat and simmer gently until the gnocchi are ready.
- When the broth reaches a boil, carefully add the gnocchi and stir to separate. Add extra water if needed to give the gnocchi plenty of liquid. Cook until the gnocchi are done and float to the surface. Using a spider strainer, transfer the gnocchi to the saute pan. Stir gently to coat the gnocchi. If the sauce is too thick, add a little of the cooking broth and stir to combine. Serve in pasta bowls with grated parmesan and bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!