Creamy Parmesan Potato Soup
- Ready In:
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped in large chunks as for mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups milk (approximately depending on type of potato and time cooked)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Add potatoes and onions to boiling water.
- Cook about 15-20 minutes until done.
- Drain and return to pot.
- Lightly mash, leaving it as chunky as you like.
- (I prefer mine fairly smooth with small pieces here and there.) Return pan to medium low heat and add butter, cream cheese and milk, stirring until butter and cream cheese melt.
- Add all other ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally until parmesan cheese is melted.
- Adjust salt and pepper.
- If soup is too thick add more milk and if it is too thin add more cheese.
Join The Conversation
Thick and creamy soup! The parmesan cheese gives such a great flavor. I used only 4 tbsp of butter and reduced-fat cream cheese. I mashed the potatoes, leaving just a few lumps. I love thick soups, so the texture was perfect for me. I garnished with chives and cheddar cheese. Thanx for sharing. A keeper for sure!
I tried this recipe tonight. I made a few adjustments: I used about 6 oz whipping cream (had no cream cheese). I used 4 tb of butter instead of 6, and also used about 5 or 6 cloves of garlic that i sliced thinly. I also added a bit of vegetable base to the boiling water for the potatoes. I only used about 3/4 C of freshly grated parmesan. At the time I added the milk I added back to the pot about a cup and a half of the potato stock. Results: a very nice, smooth and creamy soup...Very tasty, I did have to add a bit more salt than was called for, and I also added just a pinch of celery seed. I thought the liquid was just right, however I prefered to cook it a bit longer to let all the flavors meld, but that will also happen as it sits in the fridge over night. It was very easy and very quick to make and that's just perfect for me. Thanks for a great recipe. I will keep this near the front of my recipe folder! And, next time I will try it with the cream cheese.